Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Cobb Salad Rewritten

I am most definitely not a salad person but, I've been drooling over this salad for a week already mostly because it looks so neatly put together and every ingredient is the same perfect size. Not too mention the artistic freedom you have to serve it as a vertical or horizontal rainbow.

My Cobb salad is more of Santa Fe meets vegetarian. I love the avocado/corn/black bean combo. Therefore, I nixed the meat and eggs, but could have used some soft goat cheese instead- oops forgot that. The right dressing is key. I used this one found on "Smitten Kitchen":

(Heads up: I found I only needed half of this)
3/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

And the best thing about this recipe- simplicity. Iceberg & Romaine lettuce, corn (preferred off the cob, but got canned- oh the lifestyle of a thriving college student!), canned black beans (drain liquid), tomatoes, orange and yellow bell peppers, chives, avocado. Chop and you're done.

Note: if you're not going to serve it to 10 people right away, make the dressing separately and add to salad individually so it doesn't get soggy.

Believe it or not- I'm actually full from a salad for once (2 bowls later).

No comments:

Post a Comment