Friday, January 14, 2011

Poach'd

The art of poaching an egg was, to me, synonymous with writing a PhD thesis on Nuclear Fission. Allow me to debunk this myth. First, let me backtrack. A few days ago, breakfast had become almost a chore. The cereal-milk combination has never really done it for me, and being hungry by 10a.m is simply infuriating. Enter poached eggs. The beauty of these perfect pillows of joy was always so alluring; plus, they don't have all the additives of other egg dishes. No oil, no cheese, just egg + yolk.

Being the quintessential inactive university student who spends most of her life horizontal, I advise you all to find your own recipe online. TGFG (thank god for google). The point of this blog is to inspire you to be a little more daring, even if it is only in the kitchen.

I will give you a few pointers, though:
  • don't crack the egg directly into the pot of water; first put it into a separate bowl.
  • make a "whirlpool" with your spatula; wait a second, and gently slide the raw egg from the bowl into the whirlpool's center, so the white "wraps" around the yolk.
  • don't rule out eggs for dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment