Sunday, January 16, 2011

hummus pronounced: [choom-uhs]

My to-do list for my Sunday afternoon was quite extensive. (See photo below).


Of the goals listed, I accomplished... well, let's not get into that. In place of reading a french childhood novel about petit Nicholas (which I intend on sparknote-ing), I ventured out to Westmount, home to some of Montreal's anglophone yuppies. Hidden amongst old stone houses and gothic-style buildings is a greenhouse. An urban oasis, smelling of paper-white narcissists and other fresh flora, I spent the afternoon feeling like I had landed in Alice's Wonderland--I swear I wasn't on drugs.


Despite the visual feast that surrounded me, I was more preoccupied with an actual culinary feast, featuring my mom's hummus. I contemplated not releasing this golden recipe, out of fear that I would lose my credibility as "Best Pot-Luck Guest". But then, I thought, for all three of my readers (hi, dad!), that this 3-ingredient recipe was simply to good to keep secret.

1 can of chickpeas (save the juice) 
1/2 cup tahini 
1 garlic clove 

Blend ingredients together, add chickpea juice until smooth. Garnish with olive oil & paprika. Eat with pillow-soft pita from your local Queens New York Jewish Bakery that you will ask your mom to bring up on her next visit to your college dorm.

If we ever are invited to the same potluck, you best not make this sinfully easily recipe. Or at least don't divulge to the host/hostess it's simplicity.

Happy hummus.

1 comment: